ITEM 11: CONSIDERATION OF APPROVAL OF A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, OR HIS DESIGNEE, TO ACCEPT A FEDERAL CLEAN WATER ACT (CWA) SECTION 104(b)(3) GRANT FOR CATEGORY ONE WATERSHED ACTIVITIES
DISCUSSION: On August 5, 1997, the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) transmitted an application and workplan to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) for a Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 1997 CWA Section 104(b)(3) grant totaling $554,376. The grant will be combined with approximately $972,000 which will be awarded separately by U.S. EPA under a CWA Section 106 grant. The SWRCB approved acceptance of the Section 106 grant under Resolution No. 97-032 on April 17, 1997 (Attachment 1). The combined funding will be used by the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCBs) and SWRCB to supplement Category One Watershed Activities, which include:
A workplan defining the work activities to be performed by the RWQCBs and SWRCB under these CWA Section 104(b)(3) and 106 grants was negotiated with U.S. EPA (Attachment 2).
POLICY ISSUE: Should the SWRCB adopt a resolution authorizing the Executive Director, or his designee, to accept a Federal CWA Section 104(b)(3) Grant?
FISCAL IMPACT: The Division of Water Quality staff will work with the Division of Administrative Services' Budget Office to secure required budgetary authority to augment the budget.
RWQCB IMPACT: Yes, all RWQCBs.
STAFF RECOMMENDATION: That the SWRCB authorize the Executive Director, or his designee, to:
Note: Resolution No. 97-032 (Attachment 1) and the workplan (Attachment 2) are not available electronically. For copies contact: Jean Ladyman at (916) 657-0430 or Rene Bozzuto at (916) 657-0900.
SEPTEMBER 29, 1997 DRAFT
1. The State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) administers the Federal Clean Water Act Section 104(b)(3) grant.
2. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) has estimated that the CWA Section 104(b)(3) grant funding for California's Category One Watershed Activities for Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 1997 will be approximately $555,000.
3. The SWRCB approved acceptance of a companion grant from CWA Section 106 funds under Resolution No. 97-032 on April 17, 1997 (Attachment 1).
4. A workplan has been developed consistent with U.S. EPA grant guidelines specifying activities to be performed under the FFY 1997 CWA Section 104(b)(3) and CWA Section 106 grants for Category One Watershed Activities (Attachment 2).
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
The SWRCB authorizes the Executive Director, or his designee, to:
1. Accept an FFY 1997 CWA Section 104(b)(3) grant for an amount up to $600,000,
2. Negotiate, approve, and modify program activities, workplan, and grant applications not exceeding the total grant amount, and
3. Negotiate, execute, and/or amend contracts and agreements in accordance with the workplan.
The undersigned, Administrative Assistant to the Board, does hereby certify that the foregoing is a full, true, and correct copy of a resolution duly and regularly adopted at a meeting of the State Water Resources Control Board held on October 23, 1997.
Administrative Assistant to the Board