CAA Cleanup or Abatement Projects
The Cleanup and Abatement Account (CAA) was created by Water Code Sections 13440-13443 to provide grants for the cleanup or abatement of a condition of pollution when there are no viable responsible parties available to undertake the work. The CAA is supported by court judgments and administrative civil liabilities assessed by the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Boards). On December 11, 2018, The State Water Board adopted the Cleanup and Abatement Account Funding Program Guidelines.
- A public agency, including Regional Boards.
- A tribal government that is on the California Tribal Consultation List maintained by the Native American Heritage Commission and is a DAC.
- A not-for-profit organization serving a DAC; or
- A community water system that serves a DAC.
How to Apply
The Deputy Director of the Division of Financial Assistance (DFA) and the Executive Director of the State Water Board are delegated authority to approve up to $500,000 in CAA funds per project, for routine or non-controversial projects. Any non-routine or controversial projects, or CAA approvals exceeding $500,000 per project, will require State Water Board approval.
To apply for funding complete the funding application online via the Financial Assistance Application Submittal Tool (FAAST). Select the RFP titled “Cleanup and Abatement Account – 2015 onwards.
FAAST training presentation available at: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/grants_loans/caa/docs/faast_prsntn.pdf
Funded CAA Projects
- In 2017, the CAA funded fourteen (7) projects. See projects approved in 2017.
- In 2016, the CAA funded zero (0) projects.
- In 2015, the CAA funded three (3) projects .See projects approved in 2015.
- In 2014, the CAA funded nine (9) projects. See projects approved in 2014.
- In 2013, the CAA funded eight (8) projects. See projects approved in 2013.
- In 2012, the CAA funded eighteen (18) projects. See projects approved in 2012.
- In 2011, the CAA funded twenty-one (21) projects. See projects approved in 2011.
- In 2010, the CAA funded fifteen (15) projects. See projects approved in 2010.
- In 2009, the CAA funded twenty-four (24) projects. See projects approved in 2009.
- During normal hours: Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Telephone:(916) 319-9066
- Receive updates on this topic by email. Subscribe online to the Cleanup and Abatement Account email list.