Environmental Complaint

If you have observed any activity or physical evidence of activity you suspect to be illegal or unauthorized impacting, or threatening to impact, water quality, the Colorado River Basin Regional Water Board would like to know about it.

Submit an CalEPA Online Environmental Complaint to the Regional Water Board and/or other CalEPA Boards, Departments, and Offices.

Call 911 if it is an Emergency.

Governor’s Office of Emergency Services has information for individuals and families on emergency preparedness.


Important information about potential violations of environmental laws oftentimes comes from vigilant members of the public. If you have seen an activity which you believe may be a violation of water quality or water rights laws, the Water Boards and Cal/EPA would like to know about it.

What are Water Quality Complaints?

Pollution or illegal discharges to surface or ground waters, discharge of pollutants or chemicals affecting water quality, violations of Waste Discharge permits, leaking underground storage tanks, polluted ground water supplies, erosion and other polluted storm water runoff, or sewer overflows.

How Do I submit a Complaint Online?

Use the CalEPA Online Environmental Complaint
Complaints received by Cal/EPA are assigned to one or more state agencies to investigate. Those relating to water are assigned to and handled by the Water Boards.

How Do I submit a Complaint by Phone?

Complaints or concerns pertaining to the protection of water quality in the Colorado River Basin region may be phoned into our Regional Water Board office at (760) 346-7491. Complaints pertaining to other environmental disciplines can be submitted to the appropriate CalEPA Board, Department or Office by calling (916) 323-2514.

What information should I provide?

All complaints should contain some basic information, including:

  • Description of the problem or incident;
  • Location of the incident (address, cross streets, other description);
  • Time and date when the problem occurred or was observed;
  • Contact information if we need additional information, unless you wish to remain anonymous; and
  • Source of the pollution or problem (if known).
Can I file a complaint anonymously?

Complaints may be filed confidentially or anonymously and can also be filed with identifying information. Please be aware that it is often more difficult for an agency to take action based on an anonymous complaint.

Will the Regional Water Board notify me of the outcome?

Whether or not a violation of water related laws is found, you may be notified and informed of the status and outcome of the complaint if you request notification and provide your contact information.

How do I report water waste in my neighborhood?

To report wasteful practices in your work or residential neighborhoods, please contact your local water supplier. For more information on your water supplier, please use the link: https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/water_issues/programs/drought/water_supplier.html

To report water waste in California when you do not have the water supplier information, go to “Save our Water"

What if I have a complaint regarding Drinking Water?

For complaints or concerns about your drinking water, contact the State Water Resources Control Board Division of Drinking Water:

  • San Diego and Imperial Counties (619) 525-4159
  • Riverside County (619) 525-4159
  • San Bernardino County (909) 383-4328
What is a Water Rights complaint?

Water Rights complaints include activities related to diversion of water that is unauthorized, result in wasteful on non-beneficial use of water, cause harm to public trust resources, and other perceived water rights violations. For complaints or concerns pertaining to water rights, contact the State Water Resources Control Board Division of Water Rights.


Drinking Water
Problems associated with drinking and public water supply, water treatment and distribution systems, water reclamation / recycling, and contamination of water supply.

Water Waste
Inefficient and wasteful water use, including practices that are in violation of Emergency Conservation Regulation prohibitions and requirements listed here.

Problems associated with sewage collection and treatment systems, such as raw sewage spills and septic system failure.

Illegal discharges to stormwater conveyance systems, such as ditches, storm drains, or stormwater retention basins, and storm drains. Illegal stormwater discharges may include litter, manure, stockpiling, erosion, sediment, chemicals, and soaps.

Solid Waste
Improper operation or closure of a solid waste facilities such as landfills and recycling facilities; improper storage or transportation of solid wastes.

Illegal Dumping
Unauthorized disposal of trash / waste on public property, such as a street or a parkway.

Air Quality
General air pollution problems, including open burning, fugitive dust, gas stations; vehicle air pollution involving smoking vehicles, idling commercial vehicles, idling vehicles near schools, and idling or smoking locomotive engines.

Pesticide Problems
Improper sale, transportation, storage, or use of pesticide products. Improper pesticide use includes misapplication and drift, and contamination of workers, public, property and environment.

Toxic Substances
Illegal disposal or handling of hazardous waste. This includes illegal disposal, storage, transportation, or treatment of hazardous chemical waste, waste oil, waste antifreeze, waste fluorescent light tubes, electronic wastes, waste pesticides and waste paint; improper operation of commercial hazardous waste management facilities, hazardous waste transporters, and hazardous waste recyclers.

Poaching activities such as illegal activities related to fishing and hunting.

Vector Control
Vector related problems including high mosquito and other pest activity, mosquito breeding habitats (stagnant water), and dead birds (West Nile Virus).


For many environmental issues, abatement and enforcement activities are performed by local agencies or local branches of CalEPA Boards, Departments and Offices. To get local enforcement and information contacts for environmental issues in your community, follow links provided below by county.

Please note: the contacts and links below are provided for reference and education purposes only. Regional Water Board staff will make an effort to ensure that the links and contacts are accurate and up to date by updating this page periodically. If you find any issues with the information presented, please notify the Regional Water Board Staff.

Click on a title bar to view the content for an individual area.



Imperial County Links

Imperial County Incorporated Places

Imperial County Unincorporated Communities

Salton City, Salton Sea Beach, Desert Shores

Winterhaven, Bard

Plaster City, Glamis, and other unincorporated communities


Riverside County Links

Riverside County Incorporated Communities

City of Banning
City of Indio
City of Palm Springs
City of Rancho Mirage

Riverside County Unincorporated Communities

Cabazon, White Water

Bermuda Dunes, Indio Hills, Mecca, North Shore, Oasis, Sky Valley, Thermal, Thousand Palms

Chiriaco Summit, Desert Center, Eagle Mountain, Lake Tamarisk, Mesa Verde, Ripley


San Bernardino County Incorporated Communities

City of Needles

San Bernardino County Unincorporated Communities


San Diego County Unincorporated Communities


The following links provide public information that is available.

  • State Water Board Public Records Center – Public Records Center for the State Water Resources Control Board.
  • Region 7 Public Records Center – Region 7 Colorado River Basin Regional Water Board Public Records Center.
  • Data and Databases – The Water Boards' have a number of databases that include Summary Reports and Geographic Information System (GIS) map interfaces and also store or link to more detailed documents and technical reports.
  • GeoTracker – Environmental data for regulated facilities in California.
  • GeoTracker GAMA – The Groundwater Ambient Monitoring and Assessment Program's mission is to provide data, information, and tools to enable the public and decision makers to better assess groundwater quality and quantity.