Remotely Participating in Los Angeles Regional Board Meetings
Please check this page regularly and again before the board meeting starts as it will be updated with additional information to facilitate the public's participation in the meeting.
Table of Contents
You only need to review this page if you want to comment. Watching the webcast remains unchanged. http://cal-span.org/
Details for the Thursday, September 28, 2023 Los Angeles Regional Water Board Meeting
Information about participating in the Los Angeles Regional Water Board's remote meeting is further down on this page and should be reviewed before joining the meeting. Once you have reviewed details on this page, and obtained the Meeting ID and password, you may join the meeting as early as 8:40 a.m. on the meeting day.
You do not need to create a Zoom account to join the meeting.
Beginning with the April 14, 2022 Los Angeles Regional Water Board meeting, Board Members and staff will resume in-person meetings with a physical meeting location open to the public. Members of the public who wish to observe or to address the members may join the Board Members at the noticed, physical location, or may use the Zoom application to address the Board from a remote location. Members of the public will also be able to listen to and watch the meeting on: https://cal-span.org/
The Board asks for patience and cooperation. While every effort has been made to streamline the experience and conduct meetings in the manner to which our stakeholders have grown accustomed, there may be technical issues and human error. We will attempt to correct any issues that arise as soon as we can.
Individuals who require special accommodations or language are requested to contact the Rosie Villar at least 10 working days prior to the Board meeting at (213) 576-6630 or Rosie.Villar@waterboards.ca.gov.
The webcast can be viewed through most web browsers from this page: http://cal-span.org
Individuals who only want to watch or listen should use this option as it preserves interactive meeting resources for those who are commenting on items.
Members of the public who wish to provide oral comments may join the Board Members and staff at the noticed meeting location. Alternatively, if a member of the public wishes to address the Board Members from a remote location, the Los Angeles Regional Water Board will continue using the Zoom application to allow remote participation by the public. With the remote participation option, you can either call in or use a computer or mobile device (e.g., mobile phone or tablet) to participate via audio or video conference.
- Remote meetings often lack the same visual and social cues available during public, in-person meetings. Please be respectful and patient so all interested commenters can be fairly heard.
- Call in to the meeting or video conference in to the meeting a few minutes before the scheduled start of the meeting to ensure you can resolve any technical issues before the meeting starts. You will initially be in a virtual waiting room, and will remain there until the start of the meeting.
- You will be muted until it is your turn to speak. While muted, you will be able to hear the Board meeting and can continue watching via the remote meeting service if you have connected from a computer or mobile device.
- Even though you may only wish to comment on one item, the Board encourages you to participate in the entire meeting via the remote meeting service because there are at times brief delays associated with the webcast, and it may not be synchronized with interactive meeting.
- Regardless of whether you participate via phone, computer, or mobile device, please participate from a quiet environment so that the Board can hear you when you are called upon. If you are using the internet to connect to the meeting, try to ensure you have a good connection or strong signal.
- It is important to avoid creating acoustic feedback. If there are other devices near you that are tuned into the meeting, please make sure that the speaker volume of those devices is turned down when it is your turn to participate.
- The Board Chair will maintain decorum during the meeting as is customary in public meetings, and individuals who are disruptive may be removed from the remote meeting service or have their connection muted.
- Other public commenters will be able to see your name (which is not unusual because commenters already have to identify themselves for the record before speaking), and if you call in, other commenters will see the last three digits of your phone number unless you have called in anonymously.
- The Los Angeles Regional Water Board will be using the Zoom meeting service to allow remote participation.
- Do not use the webcast if you are participating through the Zoom remote service.
- Meeting ID and password necessary to join the Zoom meeting and instructions for obtaining Meeting ID and password are below.
- The Zoom remote meeting service allows individuals to dial from a list of California phone numbers.
- See instructions above for joining the Zoom meeting via telephone.
- General information about using a phone to participate in a Zoom meeting is available here.
- When you are asked to comment during the meeting, the meeting organizer will unmute your phone, but you may also need to press *6 on your phone.
If you want to use your phone to provide comments but follow along with the video presentations (e.g., because you do not have or want to use a computer microphone or camera), you can do so, but the computer or mobile device will need to be connected to the Zoom meeting using the steps below for “Participating via Video Conference.” When connecting to the Zoom meeting through a computer or mobile device select the option that you are participating by phone call. The Zoom service will give you a participant number that you can then enter on your phone (#[Participant Number]#]).
- The Los Angeles Regional Water Board will be using the Zoom remote meeting service for those who want to provide comments. Do not use the webcast link above if you are participating through the Zoom remote service. And only use the Zoom service if you want to provide comment.
- You do not need to create a Zoom account to participate in a Water Board meeting. The Meeting ID and password provided upon registering for the meeting via the link below are all you need to join the meeting. Your registration serves as your "virtual blue speaker card," which allows the Board to identify and unmute you from the speaker queue.
- You do not need to install software on your computer to participate. The Zoom service can run within an existing web browser.
- Downloading the Zoom software may, however, provide a superior meeting experience for you. You can download the Zoom client in advance at: https://zoom.us/download
- Familiarize yourself with the Zoom features here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200101697
Persons speaking at Los Angeles Water Board meetings are accustomed to filling out a blue speaker card. To allow for a more orderly process of identifying speakers in advance, the Los Angeles Regional Water Board will use virtual speaker cards. The virtual speaker card will allow the Board Clerk to identify commenters interested in a particular item, locate them within the Zoom meeting waiting list, and unmute them so they can address the Board at the appropriate time.
To request to speak on an item and to receive the meeting password:
- For members of the public who wish to comment or present virtually, please click the following link and complete the form to receive a link to join the Zoom meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DPXm2mIxSgG_AhhqbWtBmw
While you may submit a virtual speaker card at any time prior to or during the Board Meeting, we encourage those who wish to speak to submit a virtual speaker card by 5:00 pm on the Monday before the Board Meeting, if possible.