Site Assessment & Cleanup
Staff Assistance

How to Request Water Board Staff Assistance and Oversight of Cleanup Activities

Anyone who would like assistance or oversight on a project is welcome to contact Water Board staff using the contact information provided below.

Regional Water Quality Control Board and the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) both have the authority to regulate cleanup of polluted or contaminated sites in California. To improve coordination between the agencies on oversight of Brownfield cleanups, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) was signed in March 1, 2005. The MOA describes the process and considerations used to determine the appropriate lead agency for a Brownfield site. This process is used for all sites, not just Brownfields. Anyone requesting oversight from the Water Boards or DTSC for a Brownfield site (or other site) may submit an application to the Water Boards or DTSC with enough site information to allow the agencies to determine the appropriate lead agency. Please an application for your request using the Application form linked below.

If you have any questions about the request for oversight or the MOU please contact Steven Meeks at (916) 464-4678 or at