Proposed Biological Integrity Assessment Implementation Plan for (Perennial Streams & Rivers of) the State of California
ARCHIVED Information for Biological Integrity Project
- For information on current projects go to Biostimulatory Substances Objective and Program to Implement Biological Integrity
|Stakeholder Advisory Group
|Scientific Advisory Group
|Regulatory Advisory Group
- Board Workshop - January 23, 2013
- CEQA Public Scoping Meeting: Biological Objectives Policy - September 2012
- Causal Assessment Conceptual Workplan
- Draft Biological Objectives Workplan - May 15, 2010
- Biological Objectives Webinar
- Biological Objectives Overview Presentation
- Introduction to Bioassessment Presentation
- Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program
- Stakeholders Project Kickoff Meetings - March 2010
- Biological Objectives Draft Technical Documents -May 2013
The State Water Board utilized a Science Team of experts from the Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Southern California Coastal Water Research Project, and the US Geological Survey to conduct the technical work necessary to support development of the State's biological integrity assessment implementation plan. The Science Team has produced draft manuscripts documenting progress in three technical areas that serve as the foundation for the upcoming biological integrity assessment:
- Assessing Reference Network Performance, which describes the State's Perennial Stream Reference Conditions.
- Maximizing the Applicability of Bioassessment Scoring Tools in Environmentally Complex Regions, which describes the new California Stream Condition Index (CSCI) for biological integrity assessment that optimizes statewide consistency with local flexibility.
- Causal Assessment Evaluation and Guidance for California, which describes the stressor identification process developed by the US EPA and important considerations for its use with biological integrity assessment.
Causal Assessment Evaluation Appendices
- SWAMP Reference Condition Management Program (RCMP) Sites - September 2012
- This is the current list of sites that pass SWAMP reference criteria, not the set of reference sites used to create bio-objectives modules.
- This Excel table of reference sites is not currently very user friendly as column headings are not defined here. We will add a data dictionary later to clarify.
- Please direct questions to Pete Ode, Department of Fish and Wildlife at: email@example.com.
- SWAMP RCMP Sites
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Bioassessment & Biological Criteria (USEPA). This document answers some of the most common questions about bioassessment and biocriteria.
- Glossary of Terms (USEPA) This USEPA webpage provides definitions for terms used in bioassessment and biocriteria.
- Reference Condition Management Plan (RCMP) (SWAMP) This March 2009 document describes California’s program for establishing a network of reference sites, including strategies for sampling and maintaining that network over time, and establishing “reference conditions” for wadeable perennial streams throughout California.
- Evaluation of the Water Boards’ Bioassessment Programs. (SWAMP) This May 2009 report details the findings of an external review of California’s bioassessment and biocriteria programs.
- Existing Tools for Assessing California Streams. Several tools already exist for evaluating the biological integrity of wadeable perennial streams in California:
- SWAMP Bioassessment webpages (SWAMP) Many other documents & resources are available at the Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program (SWAMP) bioassessment web section.
- USEPA Bioassessment & Biocriteria homepage (USEPA) This Website provides background information about bioassessment and many useful resources & references.