Resources Related to the Water Shutoff Protection Act (SB 998)
Need help paying a water bill?
- The California Department of Community Services and Development’s (CSD) Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) may be able to cover a low-income customer’s drinking water debt, wastewater debt, and stormwater debt up to the amount of $15,000 (one time). To apply, go to CDS Water Bill webpage.
Is your water provider or utility provider violating the law?
- Send a report to the Department of Justice at Consumer Complaint Against a Business/Company.
- On October 26, 2022, Attorney General Rob Bonta instructed water systems to immediately cease all water shutoffs that do not comply with the Act. Water systems that have not yet adopted compliant policies and made them available to the public must do so immediately. Additional information is below:
Want to report a water shutoff?
You should consider submitting a report to the State database if you experienced:
- a water shutoff due to non-payment,
- if you had issues with reconnection,
- if no alternative payment plan was made available to you, or
- if you have other water shutoff related issues
Submit a water shutoff report: Water Shutoff - State of California
Water Shutoff Protection Act (Senate Bill 998)
Senate Bill 998 (Dodd, 2018)
SB 998 Water Shutoff Data
To view the number of annual discontinuations of residential services for inability to pay on the urban and community water system, go to Electronic Annual Report (eAR). Under the Learn More section, expand the eAR Data Downloads and select a file within the eAR Reporting Years (RY) section of the eAR Data Library.
California Water and Wastewater Arrearage Payment Program (Program now closed)
Covid-19 Emergency Response on Water Shutoffs (March 4, 2020 – December 31, 2021)
- Executive Order-N-42-20
- Executive Order-N-8-21
- Implementation of Executive Order N-42-20: Guidelines and Best Practices for Water and Wastewater Systems
- Voluntary COVID-19 Financial Impact Survey for Large Water Systems
- Survey released: November 9, 2020
- Staff workshop: November 18, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Survey responses due: November 25, 2020 by noon
Staff analysis and follow up: November 30 – December 18, 2020
Report to the Board: January 19, 2021
Board Agenda 1/19/2021 | Recording Jan 19, 2021 | Survey Results Jan 19, 2021