SAFER Data banner

Sustainable Drinking Water Solutions

Water System Administrators

The State Water Board can appoint an Administrator (in certain situations) to oversee a public water system that consistently fails to provide safe drinking water to customers. Administrators can have limited or complete oversight of a water system depending on the system’s needs. A Full-Scope Administrator manages all necessary aspects of a water system, while a Limited-Scope Administrator would only assist with completion of a specific project. The State Water Board funds administrators, so assistance is free for the system.

  For more information, visit our Water System Administrators page.

Water System Partnerships and Consolidations

Water partnerships can take many forms, including local resource sharing, physical consolidation, managerial consolidation, and full regionalization. Partnerships provide opportunities for systems to collaborate on compliance solutions and operations and maintenance activities and to share costs with nearby systems. The State Water Board supports water partnerships whenever feasible.

  For more information, visit our Drinking Water Partnerships and Consolidations page.

Point of Use (POU) and Point of Entry (POE) Treatment

Most public water systems treat water at a central plant before it goes out to customers. Small public water systems may be able to use point of use (POU) and point of entry (POE) treatment devices to remove contaminants from the water when central treatment is not affordable. POU and POE devices use many of the same technologies as central water treatment plants, but POU devices treat water at a single outlet in a house or building, such as a kitchen sink, and POE devices treat all water entering a single house or a building.

  For more information, visit our Point of Use (POU) and Point of Entry (POE) Regulations page.

Technical Assistance (TA)

Technical Assistance (TA) is available to help small disadvantaged communities (DACs) plan, develop, fund, and implement eligible drinking water projects. TA can include coordination and development of capital improvement projects, facilitation of operation and maintenance, engineering and environmental analysis, legal assistance, leak detection/water audits, compliance audits, financial analysis, TMF (technical, managerial, and financial), and board or operator training.

  For more information, visit our TA Funding page.