The Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
What Is SGMA?
Learn about groundwater and the landmark Sustainable Groundwater Management ActLearn About SGMA
What Is State Intervention?
Learn about the State's role in ensuring the sustainable management of groundwater resourcesLearn About Intervention
Learn about basins subject to State intervention and actions taken by the State Water BoardLearn More About the Basins
Reporting and Fees
Get information on annual groundwater extraction reporting requirements and related feesReporting and Fees Information
More Information and Resources
Access helpful links and materials including frequently asked questions, fact sheets, and State Water Board comment lettersAccess More Resources
Access our calendar of upcoming public meetings and information regarding past eventsCalendar of Public Meetings
The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) released the probationary hearing notice and Draft Staff Report for the Tulare Lake Subbasin for public comment. The purpose of the Draft Staff Report is to inform the State Water Board as it considers whether to designate the Tulare Lake Subbasin as a probationary basin consistent with the requirements of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA). The deadline for written comments on the probationary hearing draft staff report is 12:00 noon on Monday, December 11, 2023.
- Probationary Hearing Notice / Aviso
- Tulare Lake Fact Sheet / Hoja de Datos de Tulare Lake
- Draft Staff Report for the Tulare Lake Subbasin (English only)
- Draft Staff Report Appendix A - Summary Table of Proposed Deficiencies and Potential Actions to Address Deficiencies (English Only)
- Draft Staff Report Executive Summary / Resumen Ejecutivo del Borrador del Reporte del Personal
The State Water Resources Control Board has developed the following resources:
- Groundwater, the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, and State Intervention frequently asked questions / preguntas frecuentes (2023)
- Groundwater Pumpers and State Intervention Under the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) frequently asked questions / preguntas frecuentes (2023)
- Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs) and State Intervention under the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) frequently asked questions (2023)
- Call 916-322-6508
- Email SGMA@waterboards.ca.gov
Any plaintiff seeking a comprehensive groundwater adjudication should provide notice of the adjudication to the State Water Resources Control Board as required by California Code of Civil Procedure section 835, subdivision (a)(6).
The State Water Resources Control Board requests that notice be provided to all the following persons. Notice by electronic mail is preferred:
Michael A.M. Lauffer, Chief Counsel
Tina Cannon Leahy, Senior Staff Counsel
David Rose, Senior Staff Counsel
Amanda Pearson, Senior Staff Counsel
State Water Resources Control Board
Office of Chief Counsel
1001 I Street, 22nd Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
For service of any pleading naming the State Water Resources Control Board, please also follow the electronic service of process guidelines at the California State Water Resources Control Board Laws & Regulations.
Subscribe to our email list to receive State Water Board announcements, updates, and information on SGMA activities.
Language Access Services
The State Water Board provides interpretation and translation services in any language at no cost to you.
- Language interpretation for public meetings, workshops, and meetings with Water Board staff.
- Written translation of documents including comment letters, fact sheets, and more.
To request these services, please complete the Language Access Form by clicking on the "Request Language Services" button below.
The form is available in English, Español (Spanish), Tagalog, 中文 (Simplified Chinese), 한국인 (Korean), Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese), ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (Punjabi).