Water Quality Control Policy for Recycled Water
The State Water Board recognizes the importance of recycled water as a critical water supply for California and is implementing the Recycled Water Policy, streamlining permitting for recycled water projects, and identifying and funding the highest priority research needs to ensure the state’s recycled water goals are achieved. The State Water Board adopted an amendment to the Recycled Water Policy on December 11, 2018 (effective on April 8, 2019), which includes numeric goals for the use of recycled water, two narrative goals to encourage recycled water use in groundwater-overdrafted and coastal areas, and annual reporting requirements statewide for the volume of recycled water produced and used as well as the volume of wastewater treated and discharged.
the volume of recycled water
all dry weather discharge to enclosed bays, estuaries and coastal lagoons, and ocean waters
reuse where groundwater supplies are in a state of overdraft
All operating indirect potable reuse facilities must monitor for constituents of emerging concern (CECs) pursuant to Attachment A of the Recycled Water Policy. The CEC monitoring program was developed in accordance with recommendations from the 2018 Science Advisory Panel on CECs in Recycled Water.
A quality assurance project plan (QAPP) must be submitted by each facility in advance of beginning the CEC monitoring program pursuant to the Recycled Water Policy. Please email Tina Low at firstname.lastname@example.org for Word version of QAPP template.
Labs Approved for Targeted Analyses
- Eurofins Eaton Analytical - PPCP
- Eurofins Eaton Analytical - NMOR and NDMA
- Los Angeles County Sanitation District (NMOR, PPCP)
- Orange County Water District - PPCP
- Orange County Water District - NMOR and NDMA
- Orange County Water District- 1,4-Dioxane
- Weck Laboratories - TOC and UV
- Weck Laboratories - 1,4-Dioxane, NDMA, NMOR, PFAS, PPCP
Labs Approved for Bioassays
- BioDetection Systems BV - ER a and AhR
- INDIGO Biosciences - ER a
- INDIGO Biosciences - AhR
- LA County Sanitation Districts - ER a
- Trussell Technologies - ER a
- Trussell Technologies - ER a with Indigo Cells
- Recycled Water Policy QAPP Template for CEC Monitoring
- Development of Bioanalytical Techniques for Monitoring of Constituents/Chemicals of Emerging Concern (CECs) in Recycled Water Applications for the State of California
- Bioanalytical Tools for Detection and Quantification of Estrogenic and Dioxin-Like Chemicals in Water Recycling and Reuse: Guidance Document for Developing a Standard Operating Procedure
- Monitoring Strategies for Chemicals of Emerging Concern in Recycled Water (2010)
Subscribe directly to the Recycled Water Policy Email List
Subscribe to our Recycled Water Policy email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.