Storm Water Program Logo

Storm Water Program - Industrial NOI FAQ

  1. How do I know if I need this permit?
    The federal storm water regulations require a broad range of industrial facilities to be permitted. They include manufacturing facilities, mining operations, disposal sites, recycling yards, transportation facilities, and other. See Attachment A of the Industrial Storm Water General Permit (IGP) for a complete list of required facilities.
  2. Who must apply?
    The facility operator must submit an NOI for each industrial facility that is required by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S.EPA) regulations to obtain a storm water permit. The required industrial facilities are listed in Attachment 1 of the General Permit and are also listed in 40 Code of Federal Regulations Section 122.26(b)(14). The facility operator is typically the owner of the business or operation where the industrial activities requiring a storm water permit occur. The facility operator is responsible for all permit related activities at the facility. Where operations have discontinued and significant materials remain on site (such as closed landfills), the landowner may be responsible for filing an NOI and complying with this General Permit. Landowners may also file an NOI for a facility if the landowner, rather than the facility operator, is responsible for compliance with this General Permit.
  3. Are there other requirements when applying for this permit?
    A "to scale" site map of the facility is required. The site map must identify buildings, material handling and storage areas, roads, names of adjacent streets, discharge locations, and include a north arrow.
  4. What is the Permit fee?
    The permit fee can be found here. Checks should be made payable to: SWRCB.
  5. Where is the Primary Permit Location?
    The fee statement from SMARTS and appropriate permit fee must be mailed to the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) at the following address:

    State Water Resources Control Board
    Division of Water Quality
    P. O. Box 1977
    Sacramento, CA 95812-1977
    Attn: Stormwater Permitting Unit

  6. What are the timelines for applications/renewals?
    Facility operators of new facilities (those beginning operations after July 1, 2015) must file for permit coverage at least 7 days prior to the beginning of operations. Once the completed permit registration documents, and appropriate permit fee have been submitted to the State Water Board, your permit will be processed and you will be emailed a receipt letter with a Waste Discharge identification (WDID) Number. Please refer to this number when you contact either the State or Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB).
  7. What is the annual compliance fee?
    The annual fee is the same as the permit fee.
  8. How long is this permit in effect?
    Your coverage under the general permit is in effect until you submit a valid Notice of Termination (NOT) to the appropriate RWQCB. The RWQCB, however, may deny the NOT if the NOT is considered invalid.
  9. What are the regulations that apply to this permit? Where can I get copies?
    The permit is available from the SWRCB and the RWQCBs. The regulations are available from the USEPA.
  10. Questions? Call....
    If you have any questions completing the NOI, please call the appropriate RWQCB (Attachment 2) or the SWRCB at (916) 341-5536 or by email at