Storm Water Program - Trash Implementation Program
The Trash Amendments apply to all Phase I and II permittees under the NPDES municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4) permits. The State Water Resources Control Board Executive Director sent separate 13383 Orders to traditional and non-traditional Small MS4 (see below) permittees on June 1, 2017. Regional Water Quality Control Boards, as the Permitting Authority, issued to their Phase I permittees either Water Code 13383 or 13267 Orders that contain region specific requirements, which may differ from the State Water Resources Control Board orders.
Upon reissuance or amendment, State and Regional Water Board MS4 permits and the statewide storm water permit for the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will contain trash control implementation requirements and compliance milestones to demonstrate progress towards 100 percent compliance with the Trash Amendments. The General Permits for Stormwater Discharges Associated With Industrial and Construction Activities will contain the prohibition of trash in storm water and non-storm water discharges when those permits are reissued. On June 1, 2017, the State Water Resources Control Board Executive Director issued a 13383 Orders to Caltrans. 13383 Orders were not issued to dischargers of storm water associated with industrial or construction activities.
Trash Amendments Timeline
View Our Program Pages
- NEW! Link to California Stormwater Quality Association Website to Access Trash Full Capture Systems Applications and Legacy Full Capture Systems Fact Sheets
- Executive Director Designee Certification of Trash Full Capture Systems
- Certified Trash Full Capture Systems Available to the Public. This includes two tables of Trash Certified Full Capture Systems available to the public. The tables include:
- Catch Basin Inserts and Other Insert Systems
- High Flow Capacity Trash Full Capture Systems
- Certified Multi-Benefit Trash Full Capture Systems
- Decertified Trash Full Capture Systems
- Application Requirements for Trash Full Capture System Certification
(Page Last Update 10/20/2022)