GAMA - Well Owners - Water Quality in Private Domestic Wells
News! | About | Projects | OnLine Tools | Fact Sheets | Publications | Resources | Well Owners | FAQs | Contacts
LOOKING FOR WELL DRILLING RECORDS (WELL COMPLETION REPORT)?
If you are looking for records pertaining to a water well completion report (well log) you have two options:
1) Contact your local city or county environmental health department that issues well drilling permits and request a copy. A list of environmental health department permitting agencies can be found here (https://water.ca.gov/Programs/Groundwater-Management/Wells/Permitting-Agencies).
2) If your city or county health department does not have a copy, the Department of Water Resources (DWR) maintains an online database of well logs for approximately 800,000 wells statewide. DWR has redacted personal information from the well logs (name and address of well owner). The well logs are available at no charge from the Well Completion Report Map Application
If you are unable to find your well log using the online application, DWR staff can process your request manually but you may be charged a fee for the service. Well log requests can be filed using the Well Completion Report Request Form to DWR.
DOMESTIC WELL USERS
Domestic well water is typically used by single family homeowners for private use and consumption. It is the responsibility of the well owner to ensure that their domestic well water is safe, since the State of California does not regulate domestic well water quality.
You may have concerns about the water from your domestic well. The information provided on this topic is divided into the following areas to help you find important information about domestic wells:
- Testing your well water
- How to address well water quality problems?
- Domestic well checklist
- Additional domestic well information
- Guide for Domestic Well Owners
- Guía para los dueños de Pozos Domésticos
- GAMA Domestic Well Project
- An interactive map, Is My Property Near a Nitrate-Impacted Water Well?, is available for private domestic well owners to determine their proximity to possibly contaminated wells
For more information on public drinking water systems visit the Division of Drinking Water (DDW) Program website or contact a DDW Water District.
Subscribe to our Groundwater Ambient Monitoring & Assessment Program (GAMA) email list to receive notifications and the latest updates. After subscribing, you will need to check your email host for a confirmation email to complete the subscription.
Subscribe to our other email lists. See the "Water Quality" section.
State Water Resources Control Board
Division of Water Quality
Groundwater Ambient Monitoring & Assessment Program (GAMA)
1001 I Street, 15th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Telephone: (916) 341-5577
Fax: (916) 341-5463